March Newsletter

What I Learned in February (and the beginning of March)


City Cat
Hello, friends! I figure it is time I got around to writing a new newsletter.
February was a good month for me in many ways—especially in terms of learning about myself and my art.  Early in the month, I met with a group called “A Gathering of Photographers.” This group was led by two award-winning photographers, one of whom had a photo grace the cover of National Geographic Magazine, and one who used to be the Photography editor for Texas Highways.  We all brought flash drives with ten photos on them for evaluation. As you can imagine, I was petrified!

I was the fourth photographer in the group to present her photos. Right away I noticed how different my work was from the other photographers. There were no wedding shots, no advertisements, no happy, shiny people. The leaders of the group noticed the difference, too. “What is it you want to do with your photographs?”

Gazebo in Southtown
“I want to take beautiful photographs that make you think,” I replied.

“No,” he insisted, “What do you want to do?”

I really had to think about this question. And then I remembered my dream. “I want to travel around Texas and the Southwest and take pictures and write about the places and people I see. I want to work for something like Texas Highways.

“Now that makes sense,” the man replied.

I learned a lot that night. Mostly, I learned to pay attention to my dreams. And the advice they gave me about my photos? Always carry a camera, and “if it’s worth one shot, it’s worth a dozen.” That is sage advice that I am striving to follow; indeed, all of the photos on this month’s newsletter were taken because I had my camera with me at an opportune moment.

Crepe Myrtle at Sunset Ridge
This month I’ll be at the Marketplace at Old Town Helotes on Saturday March 5th, and the Tobin Hill Arts Fair on Saturday March 12th. I also have some photos hanging at The Foundry Coffee and Community.

I hope to see some of you at these venues. And don’t forget, if you see me wandering around with a camera bag slung over my shoulder, be sure to stop me and say hi!

This month’s winner of a 5x7 matted to 8x10 is Nina Rangel. Nina, email me with your postal address and I’ll get your photo to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment